Indian Council for Child Welfare, Tamil Nadu – the name says it all. Indian Council for Child Welfare, New Delhi was formed in 1952 to protect the basic human rights of the child and to enhance its quality of life. The Tamil Nadu branch was started in 1953, with Freedom Fighter Smt. Manjubashini, taking the lead as Founder –Secretary with the State Health Minister as President. The first Committee of the TN Council included stalwarts such as Mrs. Ammu Swaminathan. Mrs. Mary Clubwalla Jadhav, Mrs. Sarojini Varadappan, Mrs. Ellen Sharma and Sri. S.R. Venkataraman.
It was from the late seventies that the Council embarked on a vigorous growth path taking on varied activities, initially funded by the Central and State Governments and now, to a larger extent, outside sources. Along with this, the Council moved to its own premises at Shenoy Nagar on land made available by the State Government. The premises were constructed using funds raised from the public and grants.
The pace of its growth can be judged by the fact that its annual budget of less than Rs. 50,000 in 1973 has grown 200 fold now. The three professionals and 28 field staff in 1973 have grown to sixty professionals, mostly post-graduates, and 500 field staff.
A society which cares for its children by giving first priority to their needs, rights and protection thereby ensuring their capacity for self-help
We are guilty of many errors and many faults, but our worst crime is abandoning the children, neglecting the fountain of life.......... To him we cannot answer ‘Tomorrow,’ her name is today.
- Gabriela Mistral, Nobel Laureate
The current activities of the Council can be viewed as falling in three broad categories...